It is unfortunate the Google thought that the search button plus other permanent hardware buttons should not be added in the Galaxy Nexus new interface. This will be a trouble if we want search while opening application. Good thing is, there is a workaround to deal with the situation.
And XDA developer namely Paulobrien has jumped in with eight various patches to solve the problem, not only that, aside bringing the search button, the patches will also allow you to alter the legacy menu buttons position or their behavior.
And in this post will help you bring back the old environment through step by step guide you can follow below.
Things you need:
Get download links of the patches from the Android Modaco forum.
How to bring back search and menu buttons in Galaxy Nexus On Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich).
1. Turn the Galaxy Nexus off.
2. Now, press + hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key to get your device into fastboot mode. Now select Recovery using your phone’s power key.
3. You will see your device will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
4. Take a nandroid backup from backup & restore > backup. This may come handy if you decide you want to revert back to previous state later.
5. From main menu, install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > [file you downloaded before Step 1].
6. Once the appropriate .zip file has been flashed, select reboot system now from the main menu.