One of the improvements comes with the Gingerbread is a new Keyboard for faster text input and editing. To welcome the new feature, Android enthusiasts out there from Droid-Life has managed to ported the Gingerbread keyboard and invite us to use it.
But the ported keyboard version only applies to rooted Android device only. Since it's not allowed to install .libs for the stock phones. Thus if have not rooted your Android, perhaps it's time to consider doing so. (root Android 2.2 Froyo)
Things to note before install the Android 2.3 Gingerbread keyboard to your Android device:
- Backup first.
- Work on all rooted Android 2.2 devices
- Droid X and 2 users, see note after instructions. (Some DX users are seeing miniature versions. Again, MAKE A BACKUP.)
- This one does not work on Android 2.1.
- It is recommended to back up the LatinIME.apk from your /system/app folder in case something goes wrong.
- Download .zip file .zip file (The new fixed version.)
- Place on root of SD Card and boot into Recovery.
- Install .zip as you would themes etc.
- Reboot and select “Android Keyboard” under Input Method and you are good to go.
*Note* – DX users, “In Clockwork, go to mounts and storage>mount system and then back to install .zip from sd card”.Via: Droid-Life