However this version is providing a tethered jailbreak only for the new 5.0 (5.1) AppleTv software, which means you need to connect your AppleTv to your Windows PC or Mac when first powering it on. Don't worry this thing is only be done once, as the AppleTv does not use a battery, therefore it's rarely powered off.
If you ever used PwnageTool from iPhone Dev Team, you will notice there is a similarity between these tools. With SeasonPass jailbreak you can create custom iPSW files to be restored in iTunes. And there is a tethered boot option to use firmwares of AppleTv2 to replace un-tethered jailbreak functionality. While the role of the aTV Flash (Black) is to adds a load of features for your new black AppleTV.
And if you are asking whether this version supports the ATV3, the answer is NO. But the FireCore dev team is actively working on to support to ATV3.
What’s new in the 5.0 AppleTV software?
- New interface: - Fast, visual access to all content choices
- Movie purchases in iCloud: Support for buying movies on Apple TV and playing back purchased movies from iCloud
- Genius Recommendations: Recommendations for content on the iTunes Store based on previous rentals and purchases
- Screensaver photos: New National Geographic photos built-in for screensaver
- On-device sign-up: On-device sign up for content partners on Apple TV using your Apple ID
- Couch Surfer (works)
- Last.fm (works)
- Maintenance (works)
- Media Player (works)
- NitoTV (works)
- RSS Feeds (works)
- Weather (works)
- Overflow (not working)
- Plex (not working)
- Remote HD (not working)
- Rowmote (not working)
- XBMC (not working)
- Note: Non-working items require an author update for 5.0 compatibility.
And to the following page to:
Jailbreak Apple TV 2G 5.0 (iOS 5.1) Tethered With Seas0nPass 0.8.