While the Redsn0w can be used for tether jailbreak iOS 5.0.0, fortunately 'Semi Tether' patch continue to work using the version which means you can boot your device. But of course you need to firstly connect to a Redsn0w with computer to boot it to get your device working as you expect.
How to tether and semi tether jailbreak iOs 5.0.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.9b8
Before we start, you should know iOS devices that ares supported by this guide:
- iPhone 4 (semi untethered)
- iPhone 3GS new bootrom (semi untethered)
- iPhone 3GS old bootrom (untethered)
- iPod touch 4G (semi untethered)
- iPod touch 3G (semi untethered)
- iPad 1 (semi untethered)
- iTunes 10.5, download from this link.
- Download iOs 5.0.1 final according your devices.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b8, according your OS:
1. Open Redsn0w, and choose “Extras” then followed by “Select IPSW” and point to iOS 5.0 IPSW file and then download the file according your device (search for iOS 5.0 by Google it).
2. Select “Jailbreak and Install Cydia” option. Then follow the instructions appear on the next window screen to make your device into DFU mode.
How-To Boot Tethered:
Now it's time to boot tethered your device, when you have done with the above steps. Then open Redsn0w again, choose 'Extras", after that select "Just Boot".
Remember: Each time your device is rebooted or switched, then you get to repeat the above action.
Go to Cydia now search for “SemiTether” under BigBoss repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether
Remember: Semitethering your device is totally optional, the purpose of this move is allowing you to reboot your iPhone without computer connection. However several functions like open your Email and jailbreak tweaks will be lost with it.